Wednesday, July 2, 2008

They Said It Couldn't Be Done!


Before we traveled, our agency asked the US Consulate Guangzhou if we could have our consulate appt and my swearing-in on the same day. NO, that is not enough time to prepare the docs. It'll have to be two consecutive days as usual.

Today my guide went to our consulate appt. She called me at noon instructing us to be ready to go to the consulate at 2:30. Yesterday she mentioned some doc that I may have to have notarized, so I thought it was about a notary. When we boarded a charter bus with 7 other families, I finally understood what her poor English couldn't convey---I was to be sworn-in today!! Apparently the consulate staff wants to be free tomorrow afternoon to begin their July4th holiday early!

But, what will it cost to change my tickets? I decided if near cost of my hotel room, Casi and I would switch our travel dates. A call to NW China office and I was pleasantly surprised to learn there is no cost to change my tickets---We can leave a day early for home!!! So, we'll fly out tomorrow at 8:20am (7:20pm Wed CST) Casi is excited and so I am!

On Thursday afternoon, Casi will be come a US citizen when we complete immigration in Detroit! Security will not allow any pictures inside the consulate and guards take your cameras, phones, ipods, etc at the security check point. You collect all electronic devices when you leave. So, all I have to memorialize the event is a quick, blurry pic of Casi in front of the consulate. Why does our country not have attractive consulates?

Thanks for traveling along with us. And a big thank you to those who prayed for us. Many times, we've seen problems solved quickly because of your prayers.

With love,
Linda and Casi

No comments: