Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Calabash


There are many small shops on Shamian Island. Some have been here since our first adoption in 1998. We visited only two shops today--that must be a record. Sherry's was our first stop. Her brother, Jerry, explained that the gov forced them to move in order to lease the old place to a large business. She's still online and we found Casi's chinese dress.

The other shop is where I purchase a Calabash in 2006, because the guy played so easily. Once home, I realized that the instructions weren't clear enough for me and all I could produce were Duck calls! Today I visited that same shop and told Sarah, the main clerk with good English, my story. I think it was a first because she laughed long and hard that I came back to China for lessons. She explained my delimma to the calibash expert and he offered to give me a lesson right then! With his pointing at the music, repositioning my fingers and drilling me on breathing techniques (all without using English) I was proudly able to play a duet of "Happy Birthday" with him. Of course, we drew a crowd; I hope sales were good in spite of my beginner technique. And it will be a long time before I can play as well as little QingChe.

While I took my flute lesson, Casi enjoyed playing with the shop's little birds. Their wings are clipped so they hop in and out of their cage and hop around exploring. Casi would lure them with greens. She has decided that we need a bird. That is in addition to the dog, kitty, bunny, and hamster she desires. She does not want an iguana.

No comments: