Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Dark Day in Guangzhou


Early this morning, Casi and I flew to Guangzhou. We're in the Victory Hotel, which I've always enjoyed...until tonight. The peacocks...now I understand all the online complaints. These birds are LOUD. I've heard, for years, about the flock that roost on the nextdoor school. For a long while, I thought it was young children outside (we're on the 4th floor-I should have figure out something was odd). Then the noise grew louder and louder. Do they do this all night?? Guess I'll know by tomorrow a.m.

Today was not a good day. My local guide, as sweet as she is, is having difficulty communicating with me. Not a good thing on the day of the US Medical Exam. She told me that Casi needed shots. 3 shots??? And someone failed to tell me exactly how many RMB would be required for the appt/shots/and record. I came prepared with envelopes of USD and no time to do an exchange; had to hurry from airport to exam appt.

Poor Casi. The nurse giving the shots was brutal! She literally slammed the needle in each time. Casi came close to crying as did I! A big thunderstorm was occuring all afternoon. We quickly went back to our room to hide, play cards, order room service and hope that tomorrow is a better day. The guide has a consulate appointment on our behalf, so Casi and I are free to wonder around lovely Shamian Island, home of many nations' embassies.

Maybe the sun will come out, tomorrow.

Someone asked if they were examining her teeth....
Look closer.....The nurse is using an instrument to look inside her nose!

1 comment:

yingst said...

Linda -
John Thomas had to have three shots too - this after they grilled him about the authenticity of his shot records we brought.
That is the day we found out our son was "legally blind" as well. Poor thing couldn't even hardly see us. They were all consumed with his heart issues and telling us he will be a very expensive boy!
Not quit the professionalism we are used to in the states - huh??
We will say some extra prayers that all goes smooth from here on out.
Yes, we heard the peacocks - but I kind of like it - I know odd!
Love, Debbie Y. and the Boys